Friday, August 5, 2011

Comments for Edwin Moy

Wk1 Reading- Copyright issues

Via Flickr





The concept of copyright is confusing if you don't have all the information.  From watching all the information provided I still think there is an enormous amount of information regarding copyrights that I can still learn.  The biggest understanding I took away from the reading was how copyright laws are still changing and almost everyone is affected by it because of the internet.  With sharing sites like creative commons out there I feel hopeful that copyrights will not totally limit the creative process.


Hearing the copyrights have gone from 14 years to 100 years for companies worries me to what the future of creative media will be if new artists worry about being sued for using copyright content to create new works of art.  The video A fair(y) use tale brought a smile to my face because it uses the law to push the boundaries of copyright laws to prove a point and teach viewers about how fair use can be used as a defense in copyright law cases.
Working for a company and not being an educator creating educational media is easier to use since my target audience has more knowledge about the world and I can use photos and images within the company to prove my points.  For educators the difficult is how can I get my students to understand a point without violating a potential copyright at the same time.  We all understand popular culture and students would love to have that as a reference point for learning, so the challenge is on the educator to be able to relate the information in a way that does not violate any copyrights but still gets the message across.









Edwin,

I enjoyed your take on the required reading for this week as well. I am learning more and more about copyright and sometimes I am surprised by the number of things that are protected. As a teacher, I understand what you mean about how we can so easily break some rules of copyright. For instance, when I was in college as a voice major you could not copy your music and if paper music was present at your jury (when you sing in front of all the voice professors for a grade) you would fail. So copyright really is serious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment